Waiting on Wednesday- 2019 Arrivals

Waiting on Wednesday- books I can't wait to read in 2019!


Happy New Year! 2018 has finally come to an end and I'm really looking forward to a fresh start! I'm excited for 2019 because personally I have a lot of wonderful changes coming up and it's already looking promising. I've set my goals for this year which include more writing and journalling and I have an idea of my resolutions (which will of course be broken by January). One of my favourite things to do on January 1st is set my Goodreads reading goal! (I've reached it every time for the past three years). My 2019 goal is to read 35 books. And on that note,here are the books I'm looking forward to most:




1.      Spin the Dawn by Elizabeth Lim- July 30th 2019

Project Runway meets Mulan in this sweeping YA fantasy about a young girl who poses as a boy to compete for the role of imperial tailor and embarks on an impossible journey to sew three magic dresses, from the sun, the moon, and the stars.”


So, if you’ve had a read through my ‘meet the blogger’ post, you’ll know that my absolute favourite movies include Mulan. Naturally, when I read the blurb for this novel, I pretty much broke the read button on goodreads. I love love love learning about Asian history/cultures and when I saw that this book promised heaps of Chinese culture I was hooked. I’m just generally excited for premise of this book. I’m already asking how Maia will create gowns made from the sun, the moon and the stars...

Check out on goodreads here.



2.      Wicked Fox by Kat Cho- June 25th 2019

“No one in modern-day Seoul believes in the old fables anymore, which makes it the perfect place for Gu Miyoung and her mother to hide in plain sight. Miyoung is a Gumiho, a nine-tailed fox, who must eat the souls of men to survive. She feeds every full moon—eating the souls of men who have committed crimes, but have evaded justice. Her life is upended when she kills a dokkaebi, a murderous goblin, in the forest just to save the life of a human boy. But after Miyoung saves Jihoon's life, the two develop a tenuous friendship that blooms into romance forcing Miyoung to choose between her immortal life and Jihoon's.”

1.      I love K-Dramas. 2. I love anything set in Asia. 3. I love romances. 4. I need this book to be published right now!
When I came across this book on goodreads, I was ecstatic to see that it was a literal k-drama written (I’m looking at you Goblin!). I already know that I will treasure and absolutely champion Miyoung and Jihoon’s relationship. I NEED THIS NOW!

Check out on goodreads here.



    3.  We Hunt the Flame by Hafsah Faizal- May 14th 2019

“Zafira is the Hunter, disguising herself as a man when she braves the cursed forest of the Arz to feed her people. Nasir is the Prince of Death, assassinating those foolish enough to defy his autocratic father, the king. If Zafira was exposed as a girl, all of her achievements would be rejected; if Nasir displayed his compassion, his father would punish him in the most brutal of ways. 

Both are legends in the kingdom of Arawiya—but neither wants to be.

War is brewing, and the Arz sweeps closer with each passing day, engulfing the land in shadow. When Zafira embarks on a quest to uncover a lost artifact that can restore magic to her suffering world and stop the Arz, Nasir is sent by the king on a similar mission: retrieve the artifact and kill the Hunter. But an ancient evil stirs as their journey unfolds—and the prize they seek may pose a threat greater than either can imagine.”


This book is set in ancient Arabia! I’m so excited to buy this and support the author- Hafsah Faizal! We need more diversity not only in books but in the publishing industry too! I already want to dive into the world of Arawiya and learn more about both Zafira and Nasir.

Check out on goodreads.



 4.  Descendent of the Crane by Joan He- April 2nd 2019

“Princess Hesina of Yan has always been eager to shirk the responsibilities of the crown, but when her beloved father is murdered, she’s thrust into power, suddenly the queen of an unstable kingdom. Determined to find her father’s killer, Hesina does something desperate: she engages the aid of a soothsayer—a treasonous act, punishable by death... because in Yan, magic was outlawed centuries ago.

Using the information illicitly provided by the sooth, and uncertain if she can trust even her family, Hesina turns to Akira—a brilliant and alluring investigator who’s also a convicted criminal with secrets of his own. With the future of her kingdom at stake, can Hesina find justice for her father? Or will the cost be too high?



I've been waiting for this book for ages and now it's close to being released! I'm seriously looking forward to reading this book because it's a Chinese inspired fantasy combined with political intrigue umm yes please?? I need it now.  

Check out on goodreads

5.   The Gilded Wolves by Roshani Chokshi- January 15th 2019

“Paris, 1889: The world is on the cusp of industry and power, and the Exposition Universelle has breathed new life into the streets and dredged up ancient secrets. In this city, no one keeps tabs on secrets better than treasure-hunter and wealthy hotelier, Séverin Montagnet-Alarie. But when the all-powerful society, the Order of Babel, seeks him out for help, Séverin is offered a treasure that he never imagined: his true inheritance.

To find the ancient artifact the Order seeks, Séverin will need help from a band of experts: An engineer with a debt to pay. A historian who can't yet go home. A dancer with a sinister past. And a brother in all but blood, who might care too much.

Together, they'll have to use their wits and knowledge to hunt the artifact through the dark and glittering heart of Paris. What they find might change the world, but only if they can stay alive.”

When I visited Paris, I pretty much loved how it lived up to my expectations of being such an enchanting city. So, I’m very excited to read this because not only do I adore historical fiction but because it’s has elements of fantasy, too! I can’t wait to travel through the pretty streets of Paris again!


Check out on goodreads

6.  On the Come Up by Angie Thomas- February 5th 2019

“Sixteen-year-old Bri wants to be one of the greatest rappers of all time. Or at least make it out of her neighborhood one day. As the daughter of an underground rap legend who died before he hit big, Bri’s got big shoes to fill. But now that her mom has unexpectedly lost her job, food banks and shutoff notices are as much a part of Bri’s life as beats and rhymes. With bills piling up and homelessness staring her family down, Bri no longer just wants to make it—she has to make it.

I love how Angie Thomas is able to spin narratives about complicated social issues that are usually avoided these days. She is able to create such real characters that are so relatable and suffer from real problems. I usually steer clear from contemporary YA fiction because I feel like it’s the same story spun again and again with boring characters that I can’t come to care about. I also feel like YA contemporary fiction fails to have diversity once again. But with Angie Thomas- I devour her stories because although the issues her characters face, I haven’t experienced, I can still understand the suffering they go through. She is able to create such a connection with her readers that her story stays with them long after they finish the book. And so, I’m super excited to get my hands on “On the Come Up” and I can’t wait to see the story Angie Thomas’s genius brain creates.  


 Check out on goodreads


7. Children of Virtue and Vengeance by Tomi Adeymi- March 5th 2019

“After battling the impossible, Zélie and Amari have finally succeeded in bringing magic back to the land of Orïsha. But the ritual was more powerful than they could’ve imagined, reigniting the powers of not only the maji, but of nobles with magic ancestry, too. 

Now, Zélie struggles to unite the maji in an Orïsha where the enemy is just as powerful as they are. But when the monarchy and military unite to keep control of Orïsha, Zélie must fight to secure Amari's right to the throne and protect the new maji from the monarchy's wrath.

With civil war looming on the horizon, Zélie finds herself at a breaking point: she must discover a way to bring the kingdom together or watch as Orïsha tears itself apart”

I really really really enjoyed reading the first of the series: Children of Blood and Bone. The world was so immersive and I just loved learning more about Orisha and its history. Adeymi created such badass female characters. My favourite thing about Zelie and Amari was how they completely juxtaposed eachother. With Zelie being headstrong and driven while Amari was depicted as gentle and purposeful. I think this is very important because it shows girls can be both, unlike what is usually portrayed in fantasy novels. The novel ended on a cliffhanger (which made me want to fling myself off a cliff) and I’m ready to finally know what happened to our characters after the fiasco at the temple.


Check out on goodreads


8. Blood Heir by Amélie Wen Zhao- June 4th 2019

“The Cyrilian Empire: a glittering white sprawl of frozen tundras and ancient, snow-capped forests, where ice spirits roam beneath the flickering northern lights, and where slavers hunt Affinites -- those born with powers to manipulate elements.

Born with an horrifying Affinity to blood, Anastacya Mikhailov has never believed herself to be anything more than a monster. Her curse rings true when an accident in the dead of the night results in the death of her father, the Emperor of Cyrilia -- and she is sentenced for his murder.
In a world where the princess is the monster, oppression is blind to skin color, and good and evil exist in shades of gray... comes a dark Anastasia retelling that explores love, loss, fear, and divisiveness, and how ultimately it is our choices that define who we are”


Ok so let me get this straight: a high fantasy Anastasia retelling written by a POC author? Give it to me now!! I read the blurb and then saw the release date and cried, it’s too far away! I can’t wait to join Anastacya on her journey through the Cyrillian Empire while meeting cooler characters. 

Check out on goodreads

9. The Tiger at Midnight by Swati Teerdhala- April 23rd 2019

“Esha is a legend, but no one knows. It’s only in the shadows that she moonlights as the Viper, the rebels’ highly skilled assassin. She’s devoted her life to avenging what she lost in the royal coup, and now she’s been tasked with her most important mission to date: taking down the ruthless General Hotha.

Kunal has been a soldier since childhood, training morning and night to uphold the power of King Vardaan. His uncle, the general, has ensured that Kunal never strays from the path—even as a part of Kunal longs to join the outside world, which has been growing only more volatile.

Then Esha’s and Kunal’s paths cross—and an unimaginable chain of events unfolds. Both the Viper and the soldier think they’re calling the shots, but they’re not the only players moving the pieces. As the bonds that hold their land in order break down and the sins of the past meet the promise of a new future, both rebel and soldier must make unforgivable choices.”

SCREAMS BECAUSE BADASS FEMALE CHARACTER, MILITARY, GENERALS, SOLDIERS, REBELS AND ASSASSINS AND ROYALTY. THIS HAS TICKED ALL MY BOXES AND I AM DYING.

Listen. I adore reading anything to do with soldiers and military (along with Asian history, I love learning about war history too) and combine that with badass female assassins, I’m already hooked. What I’m most excited for is Teerdhala will combine ancient Indian history (i.e epic history that is never told in favour of European history that I’ve learnt every year in school no thanks) and Hindu mythology. I can already tell it’ll be captivating with a immersive and wonderful world that I won’t want to leave.

Check out on goodreads


10.  Dark of the West by Joanna Hathaway- February 5th 2019

“Aurelia Isendare is a princess of a small kingdom in the North, raised in privilege but shielded from politics as her brother prepares to step up to the throne. Halfway around the world, Athan Dakar, the youngest son of a ruthless general, is a fighter pilot longing for a life away from the front lines. When Athan’s mother is shot and killed, his father is convinced it’s the work of his old rival, the Queen of Etania—Aurelia’s mother. Determined to avenge his wife’s murder, he devises a plot to overthrow the Queen, a plot which sends Athan undercover to Etania to gain intel from her children.

Athan’s mission becomes complicated when he finds himself falling for the girl he’s been tasked with spying upon. Aurelia feels the same attraction, all the while desperately seeking to stop the war threatening to break between the Southern territory and the old Northern kingdoms that control it—a war in which Athan’s father is determined to play a role. As diplomatic ties manage to just barely hold, the two teens struggle to remain loyal to their families and each other as they learn that war is not as black and white as they’ve been raised to believe.”

So this book includes: political intrigue, royalty, pilots and military, forbidden love and loyalty. Sign me up! As much as I am interested in the romance, I’d rather learn more about the history between the warring countries and the political intrigue that will hopefully be steeped in the plot. I love love love pilots so Athan has my full attention! Two months left!


Check out on goodreads






Books that have already been released but I have yet to read:


Some of these books came out in 2018 but I still haven't managed to read them.I'm super excited to read Smoke in the Sun because I absolutely adore Mariko and Okami together. I've also had my eye on Want by Cindy Pon but I've been waiting for the paperback to come out.





  1. Want by Cindy Pon
  2. Archenemies by Marissa Meyer
  3. Girls of Paper and Fire
  4. The Beast Player by Nahoko Uehashi 
  5. Rebel Seoul
  6. Smoke in the Sun 





Do you have any books that you're looking forward to reading in 2019?

Comments

Popular Posts