TBR: Non-YA Fantasy

TBR: Non-YA Fantasy


Fantasy is my absolute favourite genre so I enjoy reading it even when it isn't strictly YA. I have a few that are on my TBR list that are sworn by fantasy fans. Check them out below. ↓




The Poppy War (The Poppy War #1) - R.F. Kuang

"When Rin aced the Keju, the Empire-wide test to find the most talented youth to learn at the Academies, it was a shock to everyone: to the test officials, who couldn’t believe a war orphan from Rooster Province could pass without cheating; to Rin’s guardians, who believed they’d finally be able to marry her off and further their criminal enterprise; and to Rin herself, who realized she was finally free of the servitude and despair that had made up her daily existence. That she got into Sinegard, the most elite military school in Nikan, was even more surprising.

But surprises aren’t always good.

For while the Nikara Empire is at peace, the Federation of Mugen still lurks across a narrow sea. The militarily advanced Federation occupied Nikan for decades after the First Poppy War, and only barely lost the continent in the Second. And while most of the people are complacent to go about their lives, a few are aware that a Third Poppy War is just a spark away . . ."


  • The Poppy War follows the story of Rin, a war orphan, who passes the Keju0 an Empire wide test to find the most talented youth. Ok, so, we have an interesting female character, empires and an elite military school? COUNT ME IN!!!
           Already, I'm most interested in how Rin will be depicted as a 'dark skinned' peasant girl and how  
           Kuang will navigate the problems of her gender and poverty. What excites me the most is her gift of             shamanism- a mythical art. And with the empire on the brink of war, I know this will be an epic                   story to follow. Plus, the second book 'The Dragon Republic' is out now!



Check out on Goodreads


The Final Empire (Mistborn #1) - Brandon Sanderson

In a world where ash falls from the sky, and mist dominates the night, an evil cloaks the land and stifles all life. The future of the empire rests on the shoulders of a troublemaker and his young apprentice. Together, can they fill the world with color once more?



  • When I look through lists of best fantasy books, Brandon Sanderson's novels come up a lot! So, I ordered 'The Final Empire' recently and I can't wait to get my hands on it! What caught my attention was 'Allomancy- a magic of the metals', and I'm excited to see what Sanderson spins from it. I went to the library today and checked out 'The Way of Kings' which is a whopper of a book! About 1007 pages and I have to admit, I deeply underestimated how long the series would me... and now although intimidated, I AM DETERMINED TO COMPLETE IT!

Check out on Goodreads


The Shadow of What Was Lost- James Islington

"It has been twenty years since the end of the war. The dictatorial Augurs - once thought of almost as gods - were overthrown and wiped out during the conflict, their much-feared powers mysteriously failing them. Those who had ruled under them, men and women with a lesser ability known as the Gift, avoided the Augurs' fate only by submitting themselves to the rebellion's Four Tenets. A representation of these laws is now written into the flesh of any who use the Gift, forcing those so marked into absolute obedience.
As a student of the Gifted, Davian suffers the consequences of a war fought – and lost – before he was born. Despised by most beyond the school walls, he and those around him are all but prisoners as they attempt to learn control of the Gift. Worse, as Davian struggles with his lessons, he knows that there is further to fall if he cannot pass his final tests. 
But when Davian discovers he has the ability to wield the forbidden power of the Augurs, he sets into motion a chain of events that will change everything. To the north, an ancient enemy long thought defeated begins to stir. And to the west, a young man whose fate is intertwined with Davian’s wakes up in the forest, covered in blood and with no memory of who he is…"




  • I picked this book while browsing in Waterstones. I was pretty much hooked after reading the blurb and reading the first chapter. It says on the front cover: ' recommended for fans of Brandon Sanderson'- I found that amusing since I found this book first haha. I'm interested in reading about a world where magic isn't widely accepted. I have a feeling that the word building will be rich and totally consuming. Can't wait!

Check out on Goodreads


The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials #1) - Phillip Pullman

Lyra is rushing to the cold, far North, where witch clans and armored bears rule. North, where the Gobblers take the children they steal--including her friend Roger. North, where her fearsome uncle Asriel is trying to build a bridge to a parallel world.

Can one small girl make a difference in such great and terrible endeavors? This is Lyra: a savage, a schemer, a liar, and as fierce and true a champion as Roger or Asriel could want--but what Lyra doesn't know is that to help one of them will be to betray the other."




  • Another classic I have yet to read! This series has been resting on my bookshelf- courtesy of my sister- so I should get onto it quick. I've heard so much about Will and Lyra's story and I'm looking forward to joining them!

Check out on Goodreads

Eragon- Christopher Paolini 

"Eragon and the fledgling dragon must navigate the dangerous terrain and dark enemies of an empire ruled by a king whose evil knows no bounds. Can Eragon take up the mantle of the legendary Dragon Riders?

When Eragon finds a polished blue stone in the forest, he thinks it is the lucky discovery of a poor farm boy; perhaps it will buy his family meat for the winter. But when the stone brings a dragon hatchling, Eragon realizes he has stumbled upon a legacy nearly as old as the Empire itself. Overnight his simple life is shattered, and he is thrust into a perilous new world of destiny, magic, and power. With only an ancient sword and the advice of an old storyteller for guidance, Eragon and the fledgling dragon must navigate the dangerous terrain and dark enemies of an Empire ruled by a king whose evil knows no bounds. Can Eragon take up the mantle of the legendary Dragon Riders? The fate of the Empire may rest in his hands. . . .
 "



  • I remember picking this up multiple times to read when I was younger but always getting side tracked and never getting past the first chapter. Now I'm like @ younger self wyd?? How have I not read a book series revolving around dragons????? I'm gonna get right onto it and a bonus is that the series is already complete *smiles gleefully*


Check out on Goodreads
Buy on Book Depository 






And that is my non YA fantasy TBR list. Do you have any on this list that you want to read? Or any not in the list? Let me know in the comments! 




Comments

Popular Posts