Book Recs- Comic Edition #1

Book Recs- Comic Edition #1

Okay, so I'm a massive fan of comic books and I tend to favour the MCU (though I do enjoy Batman, Catwoman, Harley Quinn and Posion Ivy every now and then). 

I first started reading comics after watching Captain America: The First Avenger. Trying to figure out a starting point is super daunting! I was really intimated by the amount of volumes and multi-verses. Not to mention the list of characters who haven't yet graced the screen.

BUT FEAR NOT! If you're looking to get into comics, this post is just for you! Look out for this tag because I'll be regularly updating it with recs, TBRs and reviews focused on just comic books. 

So, let's start with my favourite superhero of all time: Ms. Marvel!


Ms. Marvel - G. Willow Wilson 

CHARACTER FILE #1 

NAME: Kamala Khan

ALIAS: Ms. Marvel

AFFIILIATION: Champions, Avengers

POWERS: Elongation, Size Alteration, Healing

I pretty much adored Kamala from the moment I started volume one. She's a Muslim, Pakistani teenager living in New Jersey spending her time trying to fit in, writing fanfics and idolising Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers). She’s an ordinary teen until she suddenly has extraordinary powers. What I loved most about Kamala was how relatable she was. Personally, Kamala already meant a lot because 1. She looks exactly like me and 2. She struggles with the exact same things I do such as family and school. I particularly loved that her powers reflected her struggles e.g. the ability to alternate her size related to her trying to fit into both a person her family wanted to see and an person she wanted to be.


I love this series because we see Kamala grow as a character and join in with her crazy adventures. We also get to see our usual beloved characters like Wolverine and Iron Man!

I seriously recommend this entire series, it’s so well done. Wilson- a Muslim woman which makes this series just 24398573905x better- creates such a realistic character that you’re bound to love from the very first page. And of course, Adrian Alphona’s illustrations are absolutely wonderful. I loved turning the pages to find such epic and hilarious strips. 
RATING: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐


Published volumes: 1-? (as of Jan 2019: 10)
Status: Ongoing





Silk- Robbie Thompson 

Published volumes: 1-? (As of Feb 2019: 3)
Status: Ongoing


  • I love love love Cindy Moon! She's so badass and unapologetic. I love her arc though it's fairly new and I have yet the read the third one! The illustrations are wonderful and I love the balance between scenes of Cindy and Silk. It's truly a hooker, this one! Read it ASAP!


Spider Man (Miles Morales)- Brian Michael Bendis 


Published volumes: 1-? (As of Feb 2019: 5)
Status: Ongoing


  • So, if you've already watched "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse", you NEED to read this series ASAP! When I found out that there was going to be a Black Latino Spider-Man, I almost cried tears of joy! I'm loving how there is finally a bit more diversity in the MCU (Miles Morales, Amadeus Cho, Cindy Moon, Kamala Khan etc.) I love this series and I especially love Miles, he is such an amazing character that I can reread about again and again. Trust me, if you liked Miles in the film, you will adore comic Miles because he just delivers time and time again. 


Champions (2016)- Mark Waid/Jim Zub

Published volumes: 1-? (As of Feb 2019: 21)
Status: Ongoing


  • I have yet to fully read the Champions series but I thought I'd add it on! It follows the story of Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan), Hulk (Amadeus Cho), Spider-Man (Miles Morales), Viv Vision and a teenage Cyclops after the split of the Avengers in Civil War II. You're sure to love the characters individually but you'll fall in love with them interacting! I'll do a follow up post once I've caught up on the series :) 



And that is my first Book Recs- Comic Edition complete! I hope you enjoyed and I'll try and get better at explaining/reviewing the volumes. 

Do you like comic books? If so, who is your favourite superhero?

Comments

Popular Posts