Yearly Wrap Up- 2018

Yearly Wrap Up- Favourites of 2018


This year has definitely been a long one for me. The first half of the year was trying and quite a challenge for me. Things were finally falling into place and looking promising as the year dwindled to an end. I have to say, I'm ready for 2018 to end because 2019 has a lot of stuff lined up for me and I'm eager to get started. But looking back at the books I've read, I've had a great time reading this year. I managed to reach my Goodreads goal and here are a few of my favorite novels!












5. Ink and Bone by Rachel Caine

I’m a complete sucker for history and historical fiction and when I saw this book revolved around the Library of Alexandria, I had to read it immediately. I was already pleased at the fact I wouldn’t have to go through another agonising wait because the series already was four volumes in.  My favourite aspect of the book was that the whole world revolved around the library and its sister counterparts situated in different capitals. What fascinated me most was the illegal trading of books and the system of how to do so due to how restricted content availability was. It seriously made me wonder what the world would’ve been like had the library survived. I have to admit it took me a while to warm to Jess- most likely because I wanted to learn more about the world itself- but I did come to understand him. The book was a really enjoyable read.

Buy Ink and Bone on Waterstones and Amazon
Check out on Goodreads


4. A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E Schwab

This book was so much fun! I've been meaning to read this for a while and I regret not reading it sooner! This book was rich in storytelling, plot and characters. Being a Londoner, I adored the description of the Londons (white, red, grey and black) and I liked how we learned more about each one gradually. I also liked Kell and the whole concept of his magic and his back story. I need to find out more about Lila so onto book 2!

Buy A Darker Shade of Magic on Waterstones and Amazon
Check out on Goodreads


3. Scythe by

This book was very good! It was probably the most original and unique book I’ve read this year! It was so refreshing not being able to guess what will ultimately happen. Once again, I loved the world building with the Scythedom and the process of which they completed their jobs. But most of all, I really enjoyed how morals and ethics of death and murder were portrayed and explored.

Buy Scythe on Waterstones and Amazon
Check out on Goodreads


2. Warcross and Wildcard by Marie Lu

Ok. This book was absolutely epic! I devoured this series and it is one of my favourite series this year. The whole idea about the “Neurolink” was so intriguing to read about- especially how you levelled up and saw the world through the glasses- I need a pair for myself. I also adored Lu for picked Tokyo as the main location for the book because it honestly felt like I was there (it was also 300x cooler because I was in Hong Kong while reading it). The balance between action, intricacy of the games and storytelling was excellent and I never felt that the book was dull. Plus, I seriously loved the characters! I loved how badass and talented Emika was and uniquely eccentric she was (like her rainbow coloured hair.) Obviously, I adoreeed Hideo *adds to never ending book boyfriend list* and I eagerly waited learning more about his story. All in all, this series was so excellently written. It kept me second guessing, surprised me with intricate plot twists and most of all immersed me in such an amazing world. If you haven’t read this, add it to the top of you TBR list!!

Buy Warcross on Waterstones and Amazon/ Buy Wildcard on Waterstones and Amazon
Check out Warcross and Wildcard on Goodreads


 
1. Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo

Here is another series I’ve been seriously neglecting in my TBR pile. But, I actually don’t regret having read it so late. When I started the book, I was visiting my best friend in Amsterdam and it made it 50000000x more enjoyable. Nevertheless, Leigh Bardugo is such a phenomenal writer it would not have made a difference whether I read the book in a tropical rainforest or the North Pole! Every aspect of the novel was so utterly flawless. The first chapter had me hooked, I hadn’t read the Grisha verse before starting Six of Crows but at no point did I feel like I didn’t understand the universe. Leigh Bardugo is seriously gifted at spinning such a vivid story that I now really want to read Shadow and Bone. What I enjoyed most was that each character had real flaws that made them so complex and intriguing to follow. Most importantly, Bargudo presents characters such as Kaz and Inej with PTSD so well, weaving it in the story and how it influences their development. The relationships are not the essence of the story, yet I found that was the perfect balance. Rather, I enjoyed cheering the characters on towards each other on the sideline (yes I’m looking at you Kaz and Inej).
I could go on and on about this amazing series but I was ecstatic to see a character that looked so similar to me and I praise Bardugo for implementing diversity into the story without making the colour of skin blaringly obvious and the whole point of the novel.

Buy Six of Crows on Waterstones and Amazon/ Buy Crooked Kingdom on Waterstones and Amazon
Check out Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom on Goodreads




Interesting books I read this year:

I love fantasy books the most but this year I did try to read books that I wouldn’t have usually picked up. In this New Year, I’m definitely going to try a more wider range!

1. In Real Life by Cory Doctorow 


This graphic novel is something I’ve been eyeing up for a while and I was able to get my hands on it finally. It follows the story of Anda who plays the online game “Coarsegold”. But the game takes a turn when she befriends the avatar of a poor Chinese boy who farms gold to sell to players in developed country. This novel was a super interesting read and easy to get through. I enjoyed how Doctorow examines poverty and culture clash through the window of gaming and from the perspective of teens.

Buy In Real Life on Waterstones and Amazon
Check out on Goodreads


2. I am Malala by Malala Yousafzai

Everyone knows her name but I’m a little bit ashamed to say that I hardly knew more of her story than what I heard on the news. Reading her autobiography, I can say that I’m not surprised to see how much of a remarkable girl she is. She is a great writer and through her words I can feel not only her passion and ambition for girl’s education, but also her love for Swat Valley and Pakistan. I liked reading this book as it allowed me to add more than a news story and a face to a name that everyone knows.

Buy I am Malala on Waterstones and Amazon
Check out on Goodreads



Special Mention:

KINGDOM OF ASH  



What a finish! I had to put KOA as a special mention in this yearly wrap up. I started this series 3 years ago and I’ve waited and waited for its end. I adore some characters, new and old, and though at times the series frustrated me to no end, I still loved reading it (and of course raging about it sometimes). It was a satisfying reading Aelin’s story to the very end, seeing her grow from and assassin to the true Queen of Terrasen. And of course, the two that complete the trio: Chaol and Dorian both hold a special place in my list of favourites (I love my sons so much). I’ve loved Dorian from the very beginning and seeing him develop as a character was such an experience. The book finished with a satisfying end and even though it was at times dull and repetitive, I’m just glad that our beloved characters made it through. For me, I’m happy to have finished a series that I was first introduced to when I began reading YA lit.

 Buy Kingdom of Ash on Waterstones and Amazon
Check out on Goodreads
    



And that is my 2018 yearly wrap up! I have to say I’ve read some pretty awesome books and it's been such fun! J


Did you have any favourites from this year? What book has been most memorable?  

Comments

Popular Posts